Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Be Flexible When Implementing New Things

In your business, your always going to try new things because if your not then likely your not growing. But it's important to remember that not everything you try will work or be beneficial to your business.

These new things can be small changes or even large ones and some will be successful and some won't. The important thing is to research as much as you before implementing them. Sometimes the idea on paper will work, but once implemented live will prove it needs more tweaking.

Recently, I decided to implement automating the way new items are added to our weekly newsletter that I send out to subscribers. Since I have a large membership base on one of my business sites, I thought it may be beneficial not only to my clients but for me to automate the way their new items are listed on the newsletter. This way avoiding the extra work of them sending me weekly e-mails with their new items each week. Instead the system would search for all the new items added to our site within the last 7 days and add them automatically. By concept this would be a nice little time saver for everyone.

This past Monday was the first test we did in trying out this new beta system. It didn't go off without any hitches unfortunately. But that's ok. It's new and I anticipated I would have to tweak it a time or two before getting it just right. Thankfully, I have understanding clients who trust my judgement and they know I will always do my best to make sure all of their new items get featured even if it means I add them manually again. That's what I mean by remaining flexible when implementing new things. In my particular situation, it could very well turn out that this new automation may not work to suite everyone's needs.

I remain flexible however and will see how it goes over the next newsletter mailing and if it proves it just won't do the job I need it to do efficiently, I'll go back to doing it manually.

Don't be afraid to try new things though. If you have clients like I do, they expect you to continue to improve the services you provide them and likely they will be patient while you try things to do just that. Every improvement you make to your service is beneficial to them as well.

Just remember that in the end, if something does not work to be flexible and be content with the fact that you may have to go back to what was working.

Your Friend and Fellow E-preneur,

Kelle Arvay

No comments: